photo 3am_dj_home_zps919fb85e.png photo 3am_dj_about_zps7cce4c75.png photo 3am_dj_website_zps73051235.png photo 3am_dj_ss_zps6759ec2a.png photo 3am_dj_bs_zps43e27832.png

Wednesday, April 25, 2018

WE'RE POETS AND WE KNOW IT!

Today let's see how we can tie in poetry with writing standards.  First, ask the children, “What do poets do?” As they respond comment, “You know, we can do that, too. We can all write poems and be poets!!!” 

Hint!  When writing poems it doesn't matter if children use words that rhyme, nonsense words, or words that don't rhyme.

ACROSTIC
An acrostic is an easy way to begin writing poetry. Model how to do this on the board by writing a word vertically. Have children to think of a word that begins with each letter. Read over what you have written, and you have a poem.


Name Acrostic – Children think of a word that describes them for each letter in their name.


Holiday or Season- Write the holiday or season and then add an adjective that begins with each letter.


Non-fiction – Write a vocabulary word from a unit or theme and then
challenge children to write a word that begins with each letter. 

                                   

PICTURE POEMS

Cut out pictures from magazines, calendars, and catalogs.  Let children choose a picture and then write a poem about it.

BLANK POEM
Write several lines of poetry, leaving blanks at the end of each line. Encourage the children to fill in words that rhyme. Have them help you sound out the words as you write them. For example:
I saw a pig
Who could ______.
I saw a cat
Who could ______.
I saw a sheep
Who could ______.
And I can rhyme
Any time!
                   
*Use similes for blank poems. For example, children could fill in the line to “Hungry as a _____. Quiet as a______. Sleepy as a ______. Mad as a _______. Good as _______. Sweet as ______.” And so on.


PREDICTABLE POEMS
Give children predictable sentences similar to the ones below. All children have to do is fill in a missing word, and they’ll have a poem.
Hint! They can use words that rhyme, nonsense words, or words that don’t rhyme.
I like_____.
I like _____
I like _____.
Do you like____?

I can _____.
I can_____.
I can_____.
Can you_____?

*I know….I wish….My mom is…Dogs can….Spring is….Green is…. And so forth!
*Write predictable poems using the five senses. It looks like…It sounds
like…It tastes like… It smells like…It feels like…It’s a ….


Laurel Wreath
Just for fun, let children make laurel wreaths out of paper plates and leaves.  The Greeks awarded these in Olympic events for sports as well as poetic meets.