photo 3am_dj_home_zps919fb85e.png photo 3am_dj_about_zps7cce4c75.png photo 3am_dj_website_zps73051235.png photo 3am_dj_ss_zps6759ec2a.png photo 3am_dj_bs_zps43e27832.png

Thursday, May 29, 2014

I'VE GOT THE WHOLE STORY IN MY HAND!

Good readers are active readers and they are always looking for information. Prompt children to recall details by singing this song before you read a book.

I’ve Got the Whole Story in My Hands
(Tune: “He’s Got the Whole World in His Hands”)
         I’ve got the whole story in my hand, (Hold up your hand.)
         I’ve got the whole story in my hand,
         I’ve got the whole story in my hand,
         And I can read.
         I’ve got the who, what, when, where, why…
         And I can read! (Hold up 1 finger at a time.)

Who? What? Where? When? Why?
(Tune: “Ten Little Indians”)
         Who? What? Where? When? Why?
         Who? What? Where? When? Why?
         Who? What? Where? When? Why?
         Ask questions when you read. 


Story Sticks 
You will need large craft sticks and a sock for this project. Write a different story element (characters, setting, problem, resolution, etc.) on each stick with a marker. Place the sticks in the sock and throw the sock over your shoulder before you begin to read. It will be a reminder to your class to focus on those things. After reading the story, let different students choose a stick and tell that part of the story.
*Write story elements on index cards and put them in a sack.
*Vary the sticks by adding author, illustrator, title, beginning, middle, end, etc. or who, what, where, when, why.

Story Map 
Graphic organizers give children a “picture” for their minds.
Go to readwritethink.org/materials/storymap/ for ideas about story maps.