photo 3am_dj_home_zps919fb85e.png photo 3am_dj_about_zps7cce4c75.png photo 3am_dj_website_zps73051235.png photo 3am_dj_ss_zps6759ec2a.png photo 3am_dj_bs_zps43e27832.png

Saturday, December 21, 2013

IGNORANCE IS BLISS!


When I was a little girl I got ONE thing for Christmas.  Seriously!  One thing!  And I was happy.  I usually got a baby doll and I named her and I LOVED her.  We put out popcorn and a beer for Santa.  (My dad had a sense of humor and we didn’t know any better.  I was probably in third grade before I realized that Santa liked milk and cookies.)  We would hang up one of my dad’s socks and in the morning we’d find a few nuts, an orange, and a candy cane in it.

Those were the days before television and advertisements.  Our family had one bathroom and one car for six people and somehow it worked.  We never went out to eat because there were no fast food restaurants.  There were no books or cartoons about Santa, so my vision of him was created from my imagination and “The Night before Christmas.” 

Wasn’t I naïve?  I didn’t know I was suppose to get tons of presents and leave out milk instead of beer.  Ignorance really was bliss because I have such sweet memories.  It’s also called selective nostalgia because I only remember the good things.  I try to forget the family feuds and some of my disappointments.  It does no good to recall the negative things.

That might be the secret to true happiness this holiday season.  Forgive and forget the unkind words and hopes unfulfilled.  Focus on the positive and things that you have in your control.  Surround yourself with people you love, and ignore the ones you are not too crazy about.

The family is arriving today, so I’m going to turn off my computer for a few days.  Nick, Holly, Peter, Kalina, KJ, and six (yes - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6!) dogs will make the days merry and barky!  

I send you peace, love, joy, and hope!!!

Merry!  Merry!  Happy!  Happy!