photo 3am_dj_home_zps919fb85e.png photo 3am_dj_about_zps7cce4c75.png photo 3am_dj_website_zps73051235.png photo 3am_dj_ss_zps6759ec2a.png photo 3am_dj_bs_zps43e27832.png

Thursday, October 20, 2011

I DON'T WANT TO DO THIS!


Have you ever heard one of your students say that?  I love what Barbara Brown (a fabulous kindergarten teacher in Orlando) told me.  She said when her students say, “I don’t want to do this!”  She responds, “I don’t want to do it either, so let’s just get it done and then we can do something fun.”

There’s an important life lesson here.  We all have to do things we don’t want to do.  The best thing is just to do it and then you can focus on the things you want to do! 

About 50 years ago I was grumbling about my first job.  My father said, “Let me tell you something.  There is no such thing as the perfect job.  There are good things and bad things about every job, so just deal with it.”  I’m smiling just thinking about my father and the wisdom he shared with me.  J

In keeping with today’s thought, here is a song to sing when children complain about not getting the color or item they want.  It goes to the tune of “The Farmer in the Dell.”
You get what you get.
You get what you get.
Just like in the gum machine,
You get what you get.

Camille sent this comment:

Too funny! Last year I had a kinder girl that had a complete meltdown whenever she didn't get what she wanted. A Mick Jagger song sprang into my mind and I began singing, "You don't always get what you want; You don't always get what you want; You don't always get what you want; But you get what you need." The little girl was so surprised that she stopped her wailing to listen to me. (I sing off key, but with spirit.) I began to use the song again and again and it seemed to help. Thanks Mick! Thanks Dr. Jean!